Skip to Content

This view shows Main Street (foreground) and Church Street East (behind). Sights include the Palmerston North Court House on Main Street (Palmerston North's fourth, from 1897-1988), the Palmerston North Opera House on Church Street (built 1904-1905 and demolished 1996) and the second St Andrews Church (built 1893, demolished 1957). The "G.P.O. Tower" mentioned in the title is the General Post Office, which stood on the corner of Main Street East and The Square. The building remains, but no longer operates as a post office and the tower was removed.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2016P_Postcard61_013243
Title
Palmerston North from G.P.O. Tower
Format
Postcard
Held In
Coolstore
Archive
Postcard Collection
Date
circa 1907

Related items

Evening Standard Offices, Main Street East
Court House, Main Street
Aerial View of the Square and Surrounds
Municipal Opera House
36 Views of New Zealand Scenery
Palmerston North Opera House
Church Street, 1977
View of The Square from the new Public Library
View of The Square from the new Public Library
Square Circular - 11 June 1995
The Observatory in The Square
Palmerston North District Court and Police Staff

Creation

Created By

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
charles dahl,
church street,
court house,
library,
main street,
opera house,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Evening Standard Offices, Main Street East
Court House, Main Street
Aerial View of the Square and Surrounds
Municipal Opera House
36 Views of New Zealand Scenery
Palmerston North Opera House
Church Street, 1977
View of The Square from the new Public Library
View of The Square from the new Public Library
Square Circular - 11 June 1995
The Observatory in The Square
Palmerston North District Court and Police Staff