Aorangi Private Hospital was built on land occupied by Mr Maurice Cohen’s estate. The section was purchased in the 1930's by Mr A Seifert and the house remodeled for a nurses' home while the hospital was being constructed in 1935. Aorangi Hospital was designed by Mr Reginald Thorrold-Jaggard, built by Messrs Dickel and Kempson, and originally had 10,000 square feet of floor area and facilities for 26 patients. It was y-shaped to allow maximum sunlight to all the rooms. In 1950 the hospital was purchased by the Sisters of Mercy and was known as the 'Mater' until being renamed Mercy Hospital in 1969. In 2000 it was bought by a group of local medical specialists and its name reverted to Aorangi Hospital.