This photograph shows a view of Rangitikei Street from the Square and was taken around 1906. The building on the right is the Royal Hotel, which was established in Palmerston North about 1871. Over the years the building was repeatedly enlarged and improved. In 1915, the Bank of New Zealand erected their premises on this site and the licence was transferred to a building further up Rangitikei Street to what had been Dawick's Buffet. The left side of the photograph shows the three-storied brick Clarendon Hotel, which was constructed in 1904, after fire had destroyed the earlier wooden hotel. Mr H Baker was the Proprietor. Further along the street is the Johnston and Sim Land Agents. There is a sign on the building that indicates this is also the location of the offices of Manawatu Racing Club and NZ Government State Fire Insurance. The premises of Barraud and Abrahams is visible further down the street.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- A view of Rangitikei Street from the Square
- Held In