This postcard is addressed to "Mrs CJ Monro, Craiglockhart, Palmerston. 20 December 1906." The front reads: "Ina and Marjorie met us at the station and we stayed the night at Ratanui. Mary saw us off by the steamer. It was a lovely day and we were not sick at all. Saw porpoises. [We] are staying the night at [illegible] hotel with C & E. DG" The view looks up Rangitikei Street from The Square. This postcard shows a view of Rangitikei Street from the Square and was taken around 1906. The building on the right is the Royal Hotel, which was established in Palmerston North about 1871. Over the years the building was repeatedly enlarged and improved. In 1915, the Bank of New Zealand erected their premises on this site and the licence was transferred to a building further up Rangitikei Street to what had been Dawick's Buffet. The left side of the photograph shows the three-storied brick Clarendon Hotel, which was constructed in 1904, after fire had destroyed the earlier wooden hotel. Mr H Baker was the Proprietor. Further along the street is the Johnston and Sim Land Agents. There is a sign on the building that indicates this is also the location of the offices of Manawatu Racing Club and NZ Government State Fire Insurance. The premises of Barraud and Abrahams is visible further down the street. See 2014P_St25_009008 to see the photograph that this postcard was made from.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Rangitikei Street from The Square
- Held In