Skip to Content

The Russell Street School has its origins on the street once known as Frits Street (changed to Russell Street during World War One) and owned by the saw-milling firm Richter, Nannestad and Company. The school was built in 1928 and opened for pupils on 18 March 1929. There were a total of 117 pupils. P C Campbell was the first headmaster. Additional classrooms were added in 1932 and 1936. Here we see first day pupils Mrs May Searles (nee Coman) and Mr Archie Reid cutting the jubilee cake. The celebrations were officially opened by the Governor General, Sir Keith Holyoake, whose brother Claude is a former headmaster. In the background, from left - unknown, Sir Keith Holyoake, Mr Bill Alcock, a Wanganui Education Board member and Mayor Brian Elwood.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sc 92
Date
1979
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sc92_007717
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

College Street School cricket team
Central School swimming team winners.
Girl pupils, first state school
Intermediate Normal School, Ferguson Street
Carncot Private School, 163 Broadway Avenue
Miss P M Hastings with her Class at Terrace End School
Hokowhitu School
Staff of College Street School
Hokowhitu School
Pupils and adults outside Newbury School
Teachers and pupils outside Tiritea School
Boys of College Street School

Taxonomy

Tags
celebration,
clapping,
photographs,
primary education,
schools,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

College Street School cricket team
Central School swimming team winners.
Girl pupils, first state school
Intermediate Normal School, Ferguson Street
Carncot Private School, 163 Broadway Avenue
Miss P M Hastings with her Class at Terrace End School
Hokowhitu School
Staff of College Street School
Hokowhitu School
Pupils and adults outside Newbury School
Teachers and pupils outside Tiritea School
Boys of College Street School