The house was designed by A R Allen, and built in 1930 for Henry Free, general manager and shareholder in C M Ross Co. Ltd department store. Free was also a Councillor 1931-1935. It was later owned by John Young, an optometrist, Athol Preece 1951-1969 and the Lutheran Church, for use as their manse. It was also used as Da Mario Restaurant and is now architectural offices and an upstairs flat. 312 Church Street is listed in category 2 of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust register, for its architectural significance.