Skip to Content

More Info →Palmerston North Gas Company horse and cart at railway yard, Main Street

The first Gasworks for Palmerston North were built by John Coates and Co. and opened in 1889. The Palmerston North Gas Company Ltd bought the Gasworks in 1891, and ran the operation until it was sold to the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1915. Here, a load of coal or coke is ready to be transported to the Gasworks on the corner of Cook and Main Streets.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2011P_G1_004948
Title
Palmerston North Gas Company horse and cart at railway yard, Main Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection G 1
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Palmerston North Gas Company horse and cart at railway yard, Main Street
Staff of first Gasworks, corner of Cook and Main Streets
Gasworks, Napier Road
Palmerston North Gas Company employees, corner of Cook and Main Streets
Flooding at the Gasworks, Napier Road
Gas holder, Napier Road
Gasworks, Napier Road
Palmerston North Railway Staff
'Last Day at the Goods Office', Palmerston North
Awahuri Co-operative Dairy Company Limited factory, Kauwhata
Staff of Oliver Austin's Flaxmill, Foxton
Staff of Oliver Austin's Flaxmill, Foxton

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1889 to 1914

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Palmerston North Gas Company horse and cart at railway yard, Main Street
Staff of first Gasworks, corner of Cook and Main Streets
Gasworks, Napier Road
Palmerston North Gas Company employees, corner of Cook and Main Streets
Flooding at the Gasworks, Napier Road
Gas holder, Napier Road
Gasworks, Napier Road
Palmerston North Railway Staff
'Last Day at the Goods Office', Palmerston North
Awahuri Co-operative Dairy Company Limited factory, Kauwhata
Staff of Oliver Austin's Flaxmill, Foxton
Staff of Oliver Austin's Flaxmill, Foxton

User comments