The first Gasworks for Palmerston North were built by John Coates and Co. and opened in 1889. The Palmerston North Gas Company Ltd bought the Gasworks in 1891, and ran the operation until it was sold to the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1915. This photograph shows staff outside the gasometer at the Gasworks. H.J. Kennedy, Manager, is at the extreme left in the front row. Second from right, back row is thought to Bill Smith.