Skip to Content

More Info →Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert

'Atawhai', meaning 'warm welcome', was built for Edwin Keiller, a widower, as a healthy place to raise his children. It was designed by C.T. Natusch, the architect, and built by Arthur Bennett at the top of the bluff across the bridge from Palmerston North. At the time building materials had to be hauled up the bluff by a double pulley, although a steep access road was built at a later date. The house had 17 rooms, plus sculleries and pantries, and included a verandah facing the sun. In 1963 the Presbyterian Educational Trust bought the house and it is administered in conjunction with Massey University as a hostel for students. It is now known as Fergusson Hall.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur77_3174
Title
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bur 77
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street
63 Karina Terrace
"Te Mahoe", College Street
Warburton house, Main Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
'Woodhey',  Te Awe Awe Street
Maud and Mollie Warburton at Warburton residence, Main Street
106 Te Awe Awe Street
'Sunny View", 63 Karina Terrace

Creation

Created By
Place
Massey College, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1910

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
Caccia Birch Rest Home, Te Awe Awe Street
63 Karina Terrace
"Te Mahoe", College Street
Warburton house, Main Street
398 Church Street
Rose garden at 'Atawhai', Fitzherbert
'Woodhey',  Te Awe Awe Street
Maud and Mollie Warburton at Warburton residence, Main Street
106 Te Awe Awe Street
'Sunny View", 63 Karina Terrace

User comments