This view is taken from Anzac park, looking along the river flats. Batchelar’s ‘Willowbank’ homestead, constructed in 1880 – 1881, can be seen in the middle distance. The buildings and land were purchased by the Government in 1926 and provided the first offices, teaching rooms and farmland of Massey Agricultural College when it opened in 1928. After the College moved to a site on the hill across the road the house was used as a student hostel. The building remained in use by the University until it was demolished in the 1980s.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- 'Willowbank', farm and residence of J O Batchelar, Fitzherbert
- Held In