Looking from a height across the statue of Peeti Te Awe Awe to eastern side of The Square. Watson Bros commenced in the early 1860s as the "Ready Money Store" which in turn was purchased by Joseph Nathan & Co Ltd. In succeeding years it became part of Manawatu Farmer's Co.op Assn Ltd, then Farmers Alliance Co finally the United Farmers Co.op Ass. When this business went into liquidation in 1910, the drapery side was purchased by W F Durward & Co. who removed it to the site of what is now the Plaza Mall. The remaining portion of the business - grocery, hardware, crockery and produce departments - was purchased by John and Thomas Watson of Timaru, and began trading as Watson Brothers Ltd. On the right is Stanton's Home Machinery Store, E.F. Thwaites and Millar and Giorgi Clothiers.