Skip to Content

More Info →Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'

'Totaranui' was built in Fitzroy Street by Peter Manson, a sawmiller, c1875. It is one of the oldest remaining houses in Palmerston North. It was built of locally milled totara and was named 'Totara-nui', meaning large totara, by Manson. It remained the home of the Manson family until about 1903, during which time it was enlarged, and was then used as a rental house until bought by William Pascoe in 1908. The Pascoe family lived in the house until donating it to the city in 1970. Restoration was then undertaken by the Historical Committee of the Palmerston North Centennial Association, and the house now resides as part of the Te Manawa complex.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur194_3090
Title
Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'
Relation
PNCC Series 7/8/5 Creamer Collection
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'
Manawatu Museum, Church Street
'Totaranui’, Fitzroy Street
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
Coal range, 451 College Street
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Restoration of 'Totaranui'
'Totaranui', hitching rail and water trough at Manawatu Museum, Church Street
Mary Manson and her daughters Jane and Evaline
Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri

Creation

Created By
Place
Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
1981

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'
Manawatu Museum, Church Street
'Totaranui’, Fitzroy Street
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
Coal range, 451 College Street
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Restoration of 'Totaranui'
'Totaranui', hitching rail and water trough at Manawatu Museum, Church Street
Mary Manson and her daughters Jane and Evaline
Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Highden Manor Estate, Awahuri

User comments