Skip to Content

“Totaranui”, constructed at 49 Fitzroy Street c1875, was built for Peter Manson, a sawmiller, farmer and Borough Councillor, and his family. It was bought by the Pascoe family in 1908 and in 1970 the family gifted it to the Palmerston North City Council. It was restored and is part of the museum complex at Te Manawa. It is said to be one of the oldest building still in existence in Palmerston North.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2008N_Mu1_BUI_1883
Title
'Totaranui’, Fitzroy Street
Held In
Coolstore
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Mu 1
Date
February 24, 1970

Related items

Manawatu Museum, Church Street
Mary Manson and her daughters Jane and Evaline
Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Mr and Mrs Peter Hansen and family outside their home
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Municipal Library building
Lending Department of the Palmerston North Public Library
Overlooking Manawatu Golf Club course to 'Woodhey', Hokowhitu
Campbelltown Store
Wright, Stephenson & Co. Ltd, corner of Grey and Rangitikei Streets

Creation

Created By
Place
49 Fitzroy Street, Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
building,
buildings,
early settler,
palmerston north,
photographs,
te manawa house,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Manawatu Museum, Church Street
Mary Manson and her daughters Jane and Evaline
Kitchen range in 'Totaranui'
Recreated living room in 'Totaranui'
'Totaranui', Manawatu Museum
Mr and Mrs Peter Hansen and family outside their home
Offical Opening of 'Totaranui' in The Square
Municipal Library building
Lending Department of the Palmerston North Public Library
Overlooking Manawatu Golf Club course to 'Woodhey', Hokowhitu
Campbelltown Store
Wright, Stephenson & Co. Ltd, corner of Grey and Rangitikei Streets