Skip to Content

More Info →Front entrance to 16 Guy Avenue

This two storey house was built for Joseph Beale in 1893. It was then sold to Andrew Guy in 1899. Guy was a member of a prominent family in Buteshire, Scotland and became a well-known solicitorand founder of the legal firm now known as Cooper, Rapley, Bennett and Thomson. Originally the property included ten acres of land with a frontage on Rangitikei Street. After Guy’s death his widow, Ellen, began subdivision in 1938, leading to the formation of Guy Avenue. The house was sold in the same year to Elizabeth Jane Duncan, transferred to John Henry Duncan in 1950, sold to Clarence Hunt in 1954 and to Ivan Moel Elliott in 1977. The house is listed in category 2 of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust register, for architectural significance.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010N_Bur249_3118
Title
Front entrance to 16 Guy Avenue
Relation
PNCC Series 7/8/5
Held In
Coolstore
License
cc-by-nc

Related items

349 College Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
259 Albert Street, Palmerston North
Construction of 259 Albert Street, Palmerston North
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
56 Linton Street ready for removal
11 Lombard Street
'Dania', corner of Ward and Fitchett Streets
Monrad Farmhouse
104 Napier Road
'Waimarama', 46 Alfred Street
'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line

Creation

Created By
Place
16 Guy Avenue, Palmerston North
Date
1981

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
historic places trust,

Report a problem

Related items

349 College Street
'Woodhey', Te Awe Awe Street
259 Albert Street, Palmerston North
Construction of 259 Albert Street, Palmerston North
‘The Wattles’, corner of Linton and College Streets
56 Linton Street ready for removal
11 Lombard Street
'Dania', corner of Ward and Fitchett Streets
Monrad Farmhouse
104 Napier Road
'Waimarama', 46 Alfred Street
'Shalimar', Maxwell's Line

User comments