This photograph came from a small photograph album that belonged to Mrs R Andrews of Rangitikei House. This photograph bears the caption, " War Memorial. PN 14-1-1928". The Palmerston North cenotaph, also known as the War Memorial, was constructed in the centre of The Square to commemorate those who died in World War One. It was opened by the then Prime Minister Mr Gordon Coates. It was a replica of one in Folkstone, England. To the right is the Band Rotunda. The first was built in 1898 and was moved to the Victoria Esplanade in 1907. This Band Rotunda was built shortly after. It was demolished to make way for the Hopwood Clock Tower in 1956.
- Created By
- Palmerston North
- January 14, 1928
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library