This must have been taken before November 1906 because there is no clock in the tower. This post office was built on the site of previous one, on the corner of Main Street and The Square in 1906. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. See also 2007p_go35_gor_0702 for another example in this series.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Post Office, Palmerston North
- Held In