Skip to Content

More Info →Post Office, The Square

This photograph shows the section of The Square between Broad Street (now Broadway Avenue) and Main Street East. On the left is the Collinson and Cunninghame building after the extensions had been made to the original site. This new extension gave the firm 113 feet of frontage on Broad Street, as well as an ornamental dome with the words "10 to 1 you'll get better value here". The domed building on the right is the former Chief Post Office, built in 1906. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. In 1988, it ceased to be the Post Office. The building is now used as a restaurant and bar.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq25_008575
Title
Post Office, The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 25
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Post Office, The Square
Coronation Fountain and Post Office
Overlooking The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
The Square Looking North
Looking across The Square
Carriages Drive Through The Square
A Colour Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square
Rose Gardens in the Square

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1911 to 1918

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Post Office, The Square
Coronation Fountain and Post Office
Overlooking The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Looking across The Square to Main Street.
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
The Square Looking North
Looking across The Square
Carriages Drive Through The Square
A Colour Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square
Rose Gardens in the Square

User comments