The fountain in the foreground of this postcard once stood is in western quadrant of The Square, in front of where the Central Library now sits . It is shown here before the Coronation monument for Edward VII was added on top (1925). The building with the clock tower is the former Post Office. Built in 1906, it was Palmerston North’s fourth post office. The tower was removed in 1942 after the Wairarapa earthquake. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a bar.