Skip to Content

The abattoir was built in 1906. The brick boiler house, chimney, boiling down house, and the concrete water tower of the Palmerston North City Council owned abattoir were the last structures to be brought down, by explosives. The demolition attracted a crowd of spectators, including a camera crew from the National Film Unit. The land was subsequently subdivided for housing in the rapidly growing Awapuni area of Palmerston North.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bc 448
Date
June 19, 1969
Digitisation ID
2009P_Bc448_BUI_2538
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Boiler House of the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Checking carcasses at the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Aftermath of Andrews Furnishers Ltd fire, 184 – 190 Rangitikei Street
Interior of the Ralta factory fire, Tremaine Avenue

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
destruction,
meat industry,
photographs,
pncc,
water tower,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Boiler House of the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Checking carcasses at the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Aftermath of Andrews Furnishers Ltd fire, 184 – 190 Rangitikei Street
Interior of the Ralta factory fire, Tremaine Avenue