Skip to Content

The abattoirs opened on 5 December 1906. The Palmerston North Brough Council took the business over as a municipal venture in 1917, until in April 1951 it was handed over to a company of butchers for lease. the abbatoir was demolished in 1969 and the land subsequently subdivided for housing in the rapidly growing Awapuni area of Palmerston North. From left: Mr Spilman, Manager; F Stewart.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bm 16
Date
1939
Digitisation ID
2009N_Bm16_BUI_2646
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Boiler House of the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Longburn Freezing Works
Aerial view of Longburn Freezing Works

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
meat industry,
palmerston north city council,
photographs,
pncc,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Boiler House of the Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Abbattoir, Maxwells Line
Steam engine and generator at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Demolition of Abattoir, Maxwells Line
Destructor building at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Water tower at the Palmerston North Abattoir, Maxwell's Line
Longburn Freezing Works
Aerial view of Longburn Freezing Works